Head of School Search
In March, Lucinda Lee Katz announced that she will retire on June 30, 2018 after 14 years as head of Marin Country Day School.
The Board of Trustees is committed to finding an extraordinary leader who, like Lucinda, embraces our school’s mission and values and will lead our school through the opportunities and challenges ahead of us.
The Board has appointed a committee to launch a nationwide search for our next Head of School. The Search Committee will work closely with consultants from Carney Sandoe & Associates. We intend to make the search process as inclusive as possible and will use this page to communicate updates.
The strength of MCDS is our community of parents, faculty, staff, alumni, grandparents and students. The Search Committee welcomes your thoughts and ideas and invites you to share them with us over the coming months. You may reach the committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Announcement Letter from Board Chair Jay Jacobs (pdf) - 3/15/17
- Letter from Head of School Lucinda Lee Katz (pdf) - 3/15/17
- Letter from Head Search Committee Co-Chairs (pdf) - 3/20/17
- May Update Letter from Head Search Committee (pdf)- 5/31/17
- September 29 Letter from the Head Search Committee (pdf) 9/29/17
Head of School Search Committee Members
Holly Hagens, Co-Chair
Jumee Park, Co-Chair
Karin Soriano-Bilal (2nd grade teacher)
Noah Cho (7th & 8th grade English teacher and 8th Grade Dean)
Barbara Kraemer-Cook (Upper School Division Head)
The Search Committee will launch a national search for our next Head of School and will meet with and screen a wide and varied pool of candidates.
From this pool of candidates, the Search Committee expects to identify three finalists who will return to MCDS in early September to meet with members of our community.
As part of the process, the Search Committee (and our team of consultants from Carney Sandoe & Associates) will conduct extensive reference checks on each of the finalists.
After reviewing all the information from the reference checks as well as incorporating feedback from our broader community, the Search Committee will make its recommendation for new Head of School to the Board of Trustees.
The new Head of School is expected to start July 1, 2018.
- On-campus community meetings with Aggie, Rayna and Bob from Carney Sandoe & Associates (April 5 & 6)
- Community-wide survey (April 7-14)
- CSA and Search Committee develop candidate profile and Search Document
- CSA circulates Search Document & recruits candidates
- CSA presents prospective candidates to Search Committee for review
- CSA and Search Committee to evaluate and interview 5-7 most promising candidates
- CSA and Search Committee to select 3 finalists to return to MCDS
- Three (3) finalists visit MCDS
- Feedback from candidate visits & reference checks evaluated by Search Committee and CSA
- Search Committee makes recommendation to Board of Trustees
- Board of Trustees announces appointment of new Head of School
- Lucinda Lee Katz retires as Head of School (June 30, 2018)
- New Head of School starts (July 1, 2018)
- How can I participate in the search process?
- Who is the search consultant?
- How can I get in touch with the Search Committee or consultants?
- What is Lucinda’s role in the search process?
- Can I nominate a candidate for the Head of School position?
- Will our head transition disrupt the status or timing of the Step Together Campaign and/or the construction timeline?
Please join us on April 5 & 6 when our search consultants, Carney Sandoe & Associates, visit MCDS to meet the community.
A meeting schedule will be emailed to current parents and faculty/staff on Monday, April 3. A select number of former parents, alums and grandparents will also be invited to attend these community meetings.
Also, please participate in our community-wide survey which will be open from April 7-14.
The Search Committee has retained Carney, Sandoe & Associates (CSA), a national search and placement firm that focuses on independent schools. For more information about CSA, please visit their website: www.carneysandoe.com
The Search Committee will be working with three senior professionals from the firm:
Agnes (Aggie) Underwood serves as Vice President/Director of the Search and Consulting Group’s Search and Consulting Practice. Aggie has led or participated in over 40 head of school searches for independent schools such as San Francisco Day School (San Francisco), University High School (San Francisco), the Hamlin School (San Francisco), Lick-Wilmerding High School (San Francisco), Shady Hill School (Cambridge, MA) and many others.
Rayna Loeb has been a senior search consultant with Carney, Sandoe since 1999. Head of school searches that Rayna has led or partnered on include, The Katherine Delmar Burke School (San Francisco), Lick-Wilmerding High School (San Francisco), The Brearley School (New York), the Brentwood School (Los Angeles), and Aspen Country Day School (Aspen, CO).
Robert (Bob) Fricker is very familiar with independent schools as a former Head of School, teacher of 4th and 5th grades and Director of Development. Bob has held numerous board leadership positions at the Northeast Foundation for Children. Prospect Sierra School in El Cerrito, California; Athenian School in Danville, CA; Middlesex County United Way; Connecticut Association of Independent Schools; Healing Racism Coalition of Middlesex County, Middletown, CT.
The strength of MCDS is its community of parents, faculty, students, alumni, former parents & grandparents. Your feedback is welcome and encouraged. Feel free to reach out to any member of the Search Committee or contact the committee at email@example.com. You may also contact our consultants directly.
Aggie Underwood (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Rayna Loeb (email@example.com)
Bob Fricker (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Lucinda will remain Head of School until June 30, 2018. For the next 16 months, she will continue to lead MCDS and focus on the goals of our current strategic plan. Lucinda is committed to ensuring that the school is firmly on the path to successfully completing the Step Together campaign and Upper School construction project. While she will serve as a resource to the Search Committee, the Board, and the consultants, she will have no input in the Search Committee’s decisions. Lucinda will meet with each finalist when he/she visits MCDS to share her insight about education, programs and culture here. Once the new Head of School has been named, Lucinda will work closely with him or her throughout the transition process and will remain available, as needed, to consult until December 2018.
Lucinda and the MCDS Development Department, along with the 15 members of the Development Planning Committee and 13 Members of the Building and Grounds committee are moving steadfast toward our Step Together Campaign goals; and fully expect to break ground on the new buildings immediately following Step Up on June 2017. In addition, Lucinda will remain the Head of School until June 30, 2018 and is committed to the completion of the campaign and associated buildings. Please feel free to direct any specific questions about the campaign to Ellen McGlynn email@example.com.